[TowerTalk] Conduit for cables to the tower?

Nick Pair daweezil2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 01:25:58 EDT 2006

Hello Dick,

  Also in the Polyphaser's doc's quoted in earlier posts they recommend GRC grounded at both ends. This seems to me the same idea to equalize voltages in the system. The GRC also is a choke to current surges and would limit the surge as you quoted to a shorter distance than without GRC. This is current limiting and not voltage limiting.

  I see no problem with the use of the hardline outer conductor for this purpose providing you use low impedance straight line connections at each end. NEC allows the outer to be a conductor as long as it is grounded at each end. This exceeds the GRC requirement of Polyphaser with the joint-less runs. Without the proper joint compounds in a GRC run you have lost conductivity in just a few years.

  You still need the ground wire in the 120/240 AC run to satisfy NEC. The GFCI protection is also a NEC requirement and is a place not to be cheep as others have cautioned. Be sure ground wire is grounded at both ends. Yes I know this a ground loop but I haven't been able to convince any inspectors in 2 states that I can dispense with the second connection and comply with the 2005 NEC. Out here we have state and city codes also, which makes you have to consult 3 code books on some installations and different requirements just yards apart.

  We used to have a inspector that was a ham and that made things a lot easier.Also way back in the early 70's it helped to know what the inspectors favorite beverage was. Alas those days are gone!

  Good luck Dick,

  Nick
  WB7PEK