[TowerTalk] Recommendation for mast on bottom mount rotator

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Sat Sep 16 11:24:19 EDT 2006

I'm going to move my rotator to the bottom of my 80 foot tower and
would like recommendations for the mast. I will support it at the top
with a thrust bearing, and at least one, possibly two, non-thrust
bearings part way down to prevent side to side movement.

My question is what would be a good mast material? It would only have
to support it's own weight and I'm wondering if 2 inch water pipe
would be suitable? How about 2 inch EMT? The upper mast section which
actually holds the antenna is high-strength steel.

I would drill and pin the couplers to keep them from coming loose. The
antenna is a four element quad, about 65 pounds.

Is there a better way? I want to do it right, so within reason, cost
is not a factor.

All suggestions appreciated.

Bill, W6WRT