[TowerTalk] Recommendation for mast on bottom mount rotator

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Sep 16 11:46:34 EDT 2006

> I'm going to move my rotator to the bottom of my 80 foot tower and
> would like recommendations for the mast. I will support it at the top
> with a thrust bearing, and at least one, possibly two, non-thrust
> bearings part way down to prevent side to side movement.
>
> My question is what would be a good mast material? It would only have
> to support it's own weight and I'm wondering if 2 inch water pipe

Remember this mast has to do basically what the top mast does. It is one
long torsion bar.
That and with a thrust bearing at the top the tower will end up supporting
all the extra weight of the masting.

Also with the thrust bearing at the top and the rotator some where near the
bottom you may end up with different expansion between the mast and the
tower. Will this add extra load to the rotator or pull down creating an
extra load on the tower?

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com