[TowerTalk] Tower Remote Control

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Mon Sep 18 16:26:05 EDT 2006

I have to agree with Dick.  I can visually observe one of my towers and
the cables from my shack window.  The other one is 300 feet away and
visible through another house window but not from the shack.
Nevertheless, I generally only LOWER the towers remotely.  We get some
heavy duty winds here in the winter that arise unexpectedly and, more
often than not, at 3:00 AM in the morning.  I have spent too many
miserable episodes standing in my bath robe in the snow, wind and
freezing cold lowering the tower at those times.  Typically, I raise the
towers using the local switches.

My original point in commenting was to let the questioner know that
there was a relatively cheap alternative to the Tri-ex remote control.
I believe that is sells for around $1,000.  Since I am using precisely
the same kind of M-O-M switch in the shack that was originally supplied
by Tri-Ex for the tower control box, I see no difference between
operating it locally or remotely (other than the inherent risk of some
kind of unobserved cabling or other mechanical snafu).

73, Joe
K2XX