[TowerTalk] Alfa Spid rotator

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Sep 25 11:25:53 EDT 2006

As I mentioned before, the Alfa Spid will not correctly
support north centering even in semi-automatic mode, AFAIK.
I don't see how a software writer can overcome this problem
in automatic mode by clever programming.  Does your controller
work correctly in semi-automatic mode?

You can get most control programs to *sort of* support north
centering by checked the "reverse mounted" box and then programming
the Alfa Spid controller so it indicates north when the antenna
is pointed south.  This works OK from the computer, but now the
front panel of the Alfa Spid controller reads 180 degrees off.
Did you figure out a way to make it read correctly?

If you try to set the Alfa Spid to a range of -180 to +180, it
interprets -180 to 0 as overtravel.  If you then give it a
command in semi-auto or auto mode to go to any heading in this
range, it goes to 0 and stops.  Is there a fix for this?

Rick N6RK