[TowerTalk] Alfa Spid rotator

Tom Frenaye frenaye at hughes.net
Mon Sep 25 11:57:38 EDT 2006

At 11:25 AM 9/25/2006, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
>As I mentioned before, the Alfa Spid will not correctly
>support north centering even in semi-automatic mode, AFAIK.

My AlfaSpid rotator does work just fine when north centered.

I found the instructions in the manual not the clearest so I sent Alfa Radio some suggestions in 2002:

>> 2) The instructions need to be updated.   Found it impossible to
>understand PL PH and SL and SH without a phone call.  I also found it very
>difficult to understand the instructions (even with a phone call) for
>setting the limits because I don't normally think of rotators as
>south-centered.  All of the others here (four of them) use the HyGain
>control box and to make it simpler for me (and other operators) I wanted to
>set it up the same way.   You should include an example of how to set up
>your control box to mimic a Ham3/4/T2X.   (Point antenna North, set to 0,
>then set PH to 180, PL to -179)

The response was:

>Yes, it caught us by surprise - we had asked for the limits feature and we
>also had to figure it out when it came. The "update" hasn't been made but I
>have at least educated the store on how it works.

The newest manual on the Alfa Radio web site (dated 2004) is better but still not all that clear about how to do it.

I'm assuming the info above works for the model they are currently shipping, note that mine is four years old.

           -- Tom