[TowerTalk] Mystery Rotor

N0OEL at aol.com N0OEL at aol.com
Tue Sep 26 23:30:56 EDT 2006

The CDR 44 is a light weight rotor manufactured by the company that
developed the Ham-M and sold it to HyGain.   It has little braking and  should not
really be used with a strandard amateur radio HF beam unless the beam  is small
and has little windload.    It was meant for UHF  and VHF beams.   I have seen
it used with standard HF beams and only  result in slipping in the wind.
It's successor was the CD 45  which wasn't a lot better in braking than the 44.
  My  suggestion is that you may want to find a used Ham-M or  Ham-II for as
little
as $75-$100.   Not worth taking the whole beam down to replace  your rotor
with a suitable rotor with good braking action after a good storm or  winter!

At least that's my experience!

-Mike
K0BUD