[TowerTalk] Wench for a hazer..??

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Sep 27 10:56:36 EDT 2006

An easy way to interface the drill to the existing
tower winch is to replace the bolt that holds the
winch handle on with the combination of a stud and
a "coupling nut".  You can then chuck the appropriate
socket wrench socket in the drill to turn the coupling
nut, which will then turn the winch.

In order to prevent the coupling nut from unscrewing
when you turn CCW, slip a box wrench over it and strap
the wrench handle to the winch handle.  I modified a
cheap box wrench by grinding off the other end and
bending the handle to fit into the winch handle.  The
cheaper the wrench the better; a good wrench may not
"machine" so easily.  The cheap ones can be clamped
in a vise and whacked with a hammer to bend.

("Coupling nuts" are long (1+ inch) hexagonal rods
with female threads intended to couple threaded rod
together and should be available in the threaded rod section of
any hardware store.)

Rick N6RK