[TowerTalk] Hy Gain towers

Craig Clark jcclark at wildblue.net
Fri Sep 29 09:36:08 EDT 2006

Don

Clyde Blylevin, who had worked at Tri-ex and maybe Tristao, went to
Hy-Gain in the 80's and started a tower line for them. The basic
ideas and designs all emanate from Lou Tristao and Tri-ex. Hy-Gain
was hoping to get military as well as industrial business to sustain
selling towers in to the amateur radio market.

One solution to lowering your tower would be to bury a telephone pole
and use that as your lowering fixture. You would need a heavy duty
block and tackle with mechanical advantage to bring the tower down. I
used a 2x block and the bucket of my John Deere tractor.

When I had to work on my rotator in my Tri-ex W67 crank-up, I would
extend the tower enough to expose the rotor. I would never climb the
tower and would do all work while on a ladder. As a precaution, I
would also block the sections so they would not fall while they were
being worked on

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209