[TowerTalk] [FLBOATANCHORS] Base for tower

W5EUQ w5euq at verizon.net
Fri Sep 29 19:20:06 EDT 2006

Gene,
          sand is better to put the tower base into than you think.

1. you can haul 50 lb or 80 lb bags of ready mix to the site.  Since the
"dirt" is sand, the drainage is better than loam that is very
"boyant".   The RBS and RBX difference is the RBS is 14 inches and the
RBX is 19 inches wide and both depths are 72 inches or 6 feet.   I would
therefore, make the hole 18 or 19 inches by 6 feet deep and pour my own
ready mix concrete in the hole.  I'll help you if you like.

Anyway,  if you went to 14 or 16 inches by 5 feet in the Florida sand,
it would be good.  The drainage is good, especially on your hill.
Hauling one bag of 50 lbs or 80 lbs at a time..... over a period of
time... then mixing it in a wheelbarrow or 5 gallon can.... and pouring
it into the hole will work fine...

Hope this helps.  Bob