[TowerTalk] Tower Grounding

Gary Raney km5ty at arrl.net
Mon Apr 2 16:55:35 EDT 2007

I'm starting to ground my tower now that thunderstorm season is
coming soon.  I wanted to have a good electrical and mechanical
connection to the ground rods, but also keep the tripping hazard to a
minimum.  I installed the ground rods below the surface, and used
standard ground rod clamps to hold the wire.  Before covering with
dirt, I used plumbing silver solder to cover the connections to
prevent them from getting dirty and thus more resistive.

I'm fairly certain the silver solder will maintain over several years
without maintenance, has anyone had problems using this approach?

Gary KM5TY