[TowerTalk] Number of Radials

Thomas Giella KN4LF kn4lf at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 2 17:40:13 EDT 2007

.....I don't know where the 120 figure came from, but I never stated that as
an
absolute requirement......

The 120 radial concept came directly from the FCC or I guess at the time the
FRC. My recollection of the exact history timeline is fuzzy now but it was
sometime in the 1930's that it was discovered through experimentation that
at 60 radials the law of diminishing returns was reached. Then for good
measure someone said let's double that just to make sure, not very
scientific. Also at  that time the FRC was requiring 1/2 wave radials not
1/4 wave.

Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA
kn4lf at earthlink.net

KN4LF SWL & Amateur Radio Autobiography: http://www.kn4lf.com
New Scientific Evidence for the Existence of God:
http://www.cosmicfingerprints.com/audio/newevidence.htm