[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 bracketed at 15'

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Wed Apr 4 21:24:06 EDT 2007

On Nov 27, 2006, at 7:13 PM, NY1E wrote:

> I am putting up a Rohn 25 tower with a house bracket
> at 15'. The windload will be 11 sq ft, A3, 6M beam and
> VHF vertical. I've heard some say you can go 35' above
> the bracket, but that sounds like alot. I'd like to
> get 40' up, 25 above the bracket, does that sound
> reasonable???

I've had a tower up bracketed at 18 and 26 feet that ends at 44 feet,
with six more feet of 2" mast. This is 24 feet above the bracket, and
it holds an A3S/A743 and has been up for five years.

By my rough calculations, this 5 sq feet of antenna is supported with
a 30% operating margin in 70 mph winds. I would not recommend going
much higher than 24 feet, especially since you are specifying a
larger antenna load. Climbing the tower is an experience, as the
HB25B brackets I used flex a bit laterally. You get used to it, it's
just disconcerting.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901