[TowerTalk] ROHN-LOC

Daron J. Wilson daron at wilson.org
Fri Apr 6 22:50:09 EDT 2007

> Can someone tell me how the ROHN-LOC device is used when it is attached to
> a klien SPA 858 tower belt. Some information I have come across indicates
> that it is used while making your way up a tower in conjunction with a 3/8
> cable that is secured about 6 inches from the tower from top to bottom to
> act as a fall arrest. Other info. indicates that is is somehow used  with
> rope. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I would really
> also like to get my hands on the instructions for this device.

>From what I can understand, the ROHN-LOC is their one way grip product to
keep you attached to the tower as you climb.  I am pretty sure this is not
consider fall arrest hardware.  Rohn using an interesting cable arrangement
where the cable is attached at periodic intervals to the tower with an L
shaped piece of hardware.  You will indeed need the ROHN-LOC grip to get
past that piece of hardware.  Other towers use a continuous cable with
rubber forks that hold it close to the ladder.  On those, you pop the cable
out of the fork as you go past it, then snap it back in place.

I have not been able to purchase a ROHN-LOC grip by itself.  Apparently the
only way Rohn sold it was attached (sewn in place) on their harness.  Well
my Elk River harness is MUCH more comfortable so I finally just cut the
webbing off the Rohn harness and harvested the grip only.  I use a small
webbing sling purchased from a rescue hardware supplier to hook the Rohn Loc
grip to the chest "D" ring on my harness.  Not sure how kosher that is, in
fact I suspect it violates the OSHA requirements because of the
modification, but it works well for me.

Frankly they are somewhat annoying coming back down, just the right distance
from your body and the right movements are required to keep the grip from
'gripping' on the way down.  It is a nice safety feature, saves clipping in
and out every three feet with dual lanyards on a fall arrest harness.

Your mileage may vary, always follow the manufacturer's directions, etc.

Good luck