[TowerTalk] ROHN-LOC

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 14:48:05 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/7/2007 9:02:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Can someone tell me how the ROHN-LOC device is used when it  is attached
to a Klein SPA 858 tower belt.  Some information I have come  across indicates
that it is used while making your way up a tower in  conjunction with a 3/8"
cable that is secured about 6 inches from the tower  from top to bottom to act
as a fall arrest.  Other info. indicates that  this is somehow used with rope.
 Any insight on this would be greatly  appreciated.  I would really also like
to get my hands on the  instructions for this device.

    Yes, the Rohn-Loc is a cable safety system that  has a trolley that
attaches to your fall arrest harness (typically a chest  D-ring) and the cable.
There is typically a locking carabiner used to clip the  2 together.

    What you have is not a fall arrest harness, it's  just a safety belt
(which BTW is not legal for professional tower work) and  has no provision for a
safety climb trolley. You can use a lanyard to go from  your safety belt to the
trolley but it's a problematic and potentially fatal  set-up. (If you fall,
the safety belt is pulled up your torso to your rib cage  when it immobilizes
your diaphragm and suffocates you. You really need a fall  arrest harness to
make it all work safely.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC

TOWER TECH -