[TowerTalk] US Tower HDX 555 Tower Cables

jcowens1 at comcast.net jcowens1 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 11 22:00:13 EDT 2007

Steve:

I don't know what the newer US towers use, but my approx 14 YO tower has u groove aluminum outer pulley sections, swaged to a center section of harder material. I thought it was bronze, bit is is not of that color so I don't know what it is. A bolt goes through this inner section and when the pulley rotates, all of it rotates. There are no bearings as such. This makes lubrication very important as it is metal against metal (bolt against inner pulley section).

Regarding the wire rope lube, I have put it on 2 tower cable sets and each have lasted for years after ther first application. The stuff I use leaves a waxy graphite appearing coating which lasts for years. I did the cables on my current US Tower 3 years ago and they now look like they did when I originally applied it.

John Owens - N7TK

From: K7LXC at aol.com

In a message dated 4/10/2007 4:36:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:
>  If your tower is the motor driven type (HDX-555MDPL), I have the 72 foot version of that tower. I have also wanted to change out my cables as they are 14 years old now, but in apparently good shape. I watch them very closely, lubricate them with wire rope lube, and oil the pulleys at least 3 times per year. I think the pulleys are the weak link on those towers. The wire rope lube is something everyone should use on tower cables as it penetrates all the way through the cables and greatly extends their life. One application lasts for very many years.
    A couple of points. US Tower pulleys use sealed bearings. Squirting some lubricant at them doesn't do anything except maybe its psychologically beneficial.

    Also cable lubricant should be applied periodically, at least once a year - it's a lightweight lubricant that will wash off in outdoor applications. If you apply it once a year, you're way ahead of everyone else. Semi-annually is even better.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams