[TowerTalk] Measuring Stubs

NPAlex at aol.com NPAlex at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 23:15:35 EDT 2007

Tom,
My experience says that measuring a stub is best when the expected R=0,
Therefore you want to leave the cable open for quarter wave length as it  reflects
Low Z at the feed end.  The same length coax as the 1/4 wave on  40, will be
a 1/2 wave on 20m.  In this case the termination should be a  short as the
half wave transfers its termination Z..    You can  short the cable to begin with
if you like, but usually 1/4 wave cables shorted  have a less pronounced peak
R vs the rather sharp null when open  circuited.

Norm W4QN

Hi  all

I just got a MFJ 259B and trying to set up some stubs.

On 40,  there is a quarter wave stub, shorted on the end.
On 20, there is a stub the  same length, only open.

On the 40 meter stub, do I just tune it for a  RX=0, then short the end after
I measure it, or short the end and measure it  that way?

And on 20, do I short the end, as in a 1/2 wave and measure it  that way?
Thanks and 73
Tom W7WHY