[TowerTalk] LM-400 Connectors

Daron J. Wilson daron at wilson.org
Sun Apr 15 01:15:21 EDT 2007

> > I am looking for the 'best' PL-259 type of connector
> > for LMR-400 co-ax.
> > The crimp on connectors I have tried have not worked
> > well at all, and yes
> > I have the crimp tool.

I'm curious what 'not worked well' actually means.  I use miles of LMR-400,
though mostly use "N" connectors, I carry PL-259 crimp, PL-259 solder and
SO-239 crimp connectors and use those when needed.

Not all crimp tools are created equal, I've purchased some lighter weight
aluminum ones that were supposed to be the same size, but really didn't
compress the material as it should have been.

Properly cutting the LMR product with the cutter recommended makes a
difference, it us just a plastic tubing cutter, but makes a nice shear cut
without really deforming the center conductor.  Then, stripping the LMR with
the properly aligned two stage stripping tool such as those made by Ripley,
give you a nice prepared piece of coax to work with.  Also, there is a
deburring tool that simply takes the center conductor and flares it down a
bit so that it fits in the crimp connectors very well.

I generally solder the center conductor on the Crimp PL-259 anyway, and
crimp the braid.

There is something to be said for a good quality, adhesive lined heat shrink
tubing when it comes to crimp stuff as well.  I like to see that stuff
tighten up on the coax and make sure it is hot enough for the adhesive to
ooze out of each end.  Doing this makes a nice solid connection.

Of course if you don't like this, just grab a regular silver/Teflon PL-259
and use that.  I've had mixed results with soldering the braid, if you want
to do it real solid, take your needle nose pliers and pull braid out of each
hole in the body of the PL-259.  Take the braid and lay it perpendicular to
the exiting coax, in the little trough of the PL-259 where the holes are.
Once you get braid out of all four holes, solder it to the body.  This keeps
it from twisting better than just trying to solder to the braid through the
holes.

Of course, your mileage may vary, user discretion advised, etc.

73

N7HQR