[TowerTalk] Mast slipping

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Apr 24 12:07:53 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/23/2007 11:33:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Steve (k7lxc) writes that "only 2-3 teeth per surface of  clamp actually
contact the mast".  Actually, for my 2" mast and older  positioner (which
appears identical as far as the shape, clamping teeth,  and bolts are
concerned), 12 teeth make contact with the mast.  These  12 teeth consist of
3 teeth in each of the four rows.  Because each  half of clamp inside, where
the teeth are, is shaped more as a "v" than a  "u" and the rigidity
("massive" of the clamp I suspect that the pressure  supplied by the bolts to
each of the teeth is not distributed  evenly.  Steve probably meant that only
2-3 teeth per row for a total  of 8-12 teeth...

    Yes, that's correct.

>  Unless  the "ductile iron" acutally ducts, it seems that the major holding
power  is supplied by only 1 or 2 teeth per row and the other teeth in the
row  may not be very effective.  In the same way holding power of the teeth
in some of the other rows may be less effective.

    How about "not effective at all"?

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH