[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 52, Issue 62

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Apr 24 12:15:28 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/23/2007 11:33:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Your (sic - ed) kidding me, right? You don't have any  old towers left
over from
pre-cable, or sat dish days? Some are still  being used for so called, line
of sight wireless cable.  Also most  marina's around here have one with a vhf
antenna on top.  There are  probably hundred's of 40 to 50+ foot one piece
free standing towers within  25 miles of my QTH. In fact there's one in my
neighbors  backyard....

    Before cable tv in the midwest everyone had a  40-foot free-standing
tower with a TV antenna on it. Much of it was Rohn 20G  which looks like Rohn 25G
but with less torsional resistance - it  had one less horizontal than 25G -
and it was NOT recommended for ham HF  yagis.

    So while one of those tower might be free for the  taking, it's worth
exactly what you pay for it.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH