[TowerTalk] Tower guy wires / EHS size

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue Apr 24 12:23:16 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/23/2007 9:03:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I am in the process of erecting a few towers at the new QTH  and have a guy
wire size question.   Two of the towers will be  Rohn 45 @ 100' and the third
will be Rohn 25 @ 100'.  They will all  have multiple yagis at various
heights on them, so not just a top mounted  antenna.  The Rohn book indicates
that each tower should be guyed at  three elevations and the bottom two guys
should be 3/16"  EHS.

>  QUESTION:  I have LOTS of 1/4" EHS and guy  grips.  Is the 3/16" mandatory
meet the specs (as in the 1/4" is  too heavy) or - is the 3/16" simply
suggested (as in the 1/4" is not  necessary but acceptable)?

    While the LXC Prime Directive to "DO what the  manufacturer says" still
applies, what you're proposing is a little bit of  over-engineering (which is
not discouraged, BTW).

    The capacity of any tower is a function of its  leg strength. By using
bigger guys you'll be putting more compression on the  legs but at the heights
you mentioned, it's not a big deal. 45G will go to  300' and 25G will go to
200' so you're not overstressing anything.

Cheers & GL!
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams