[TowerTalk] W6NL 40-2CD => Moxon Conversion

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Dec 8 11:22:45 EST 2007

Agreed, and the tip coupling configuration is fairly critical to the
performance.

Antenna and modeling guru L.B. Cebik, W4RNL, has written a complete book
(I bought it) as well as several design and analysis articles on Moxon
antennas.  They would make good reading for anyone planning to build a
Moxon antenna.  The articles are posted on his website at
http://www.cebik.com/radio.html ... scroll down to the section on upper
HF yagis and relatives, about 40% of the way down the page.

He also has a couple of articles on VHF Moxons further down, and I would
think the improved bandwidth might be a large plus on those bands.

By the way, for those wanting a 40m Moxon out of the box, OptiBeam sells
one.  Like most OptiBeam antennas it is built quite sturdy, although it
is for sure not inexpensive.

73,
Dave  AB7E

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Results will not be similar to the "Moxon."  The Moxon uses
the tails to force current (increase coupling) between the
two elements.  It is the extra coupling that increases current
in particularly the reflector and is responsible for the extra
efficiency of the Moxon design compared to a conventional two
element yagi.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV