[TowerTalk] Line Noise

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 12:34:10 EST 2007

Thanks for all the comments so far...
  Well, the final chapter is not written yet...  But I hope the fact that the pole is charred may speed up their desire to repair it - before it catches fire... I got the impression he was concerned that the back guy might become charged with HV as the pole chars on the inside, so hopefully that will put it on the front burner back at the shop...  I specifically noticed that even with the back guy having an insulator up top, he did not touch it...

  Actually, I did cast out a line that he might contact his local ham club (downstate and he commutes) - else I would have invited him over to operate, etc...

  After having read the stories of others I at least expected him to show up with some detection equipment, ultrasonic microphone, whatever... Instead I get a guy in a 7 year old pickup with the AM radio in the dash as his only equipment... When the repairs are done I am going to write a letter to the repair division mentioning that the MFJ Noise Receiver is not expensive and the time/salaries it could save on just one job would cover the cost...

  The last thing, is how quick he is at seeing the problem from the ground... He has obviously climbed a lot of poles...  I spent 16 years in plant electrical engineering and I am no stranger to pole pigs and distribution equipment, but he saw more than I did...

denny / k8do