[TowerTalk] question on thrust bearing

Dino Darling dino at k6rix.com
Thu Dec 20 00:32:12 EST 2007

A thrust bearing provides two functions...

1.  Vertical load support (not really the right bearing for this
application for most thrust bearings).
2.  Lateral support (exactly what most thrust bearings were designed to do).

The simple answer to your question is NO, as the vertical load of the
MA5B is minimal.  The lateral support is an advantage and will
protect the aluminum from long term wear.

If you can afford the bearing, buy it, but its not a "concern" in
THIS application.

"This is just MY opinion, I could be wrong."

Dino

At 07:08 PM 12/19/2007, Mikemedic130 at aol.com wrote:

>I will be looking to add a cushcraft m5ab mini beam (35lbs, and 3.35sq
>windload) along with a
>yaesu g-450a rotor to my 7-40 universal aluminum tower.  Question is should I
>be concerned
>with using a thrust bearing?  I wont be looking to add anything more later
>since I have a small
>city lot and want to be nice to my neighbors. I currently only have a 2meter
>vertical on the tower now.
>I guess I am asking do I really need a thrust bearing or not?  Any and all
>replies would be appreciated.
>

>           Thanks mike kc8unr

>12/18/2007 9:40 PM
>

>--