[TowerTalk] galvanized radial wires

rt_clay at bellsouth.net rt_clay at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 6 15:31:36 EST 2007

I think that in principal galvanized wire can last a long time, but how long is mostly determined by the quality/thickness of the galvanizing coating. I have also noticed that bits of EHS guy cable can be dug up after years in pretty good shape.

I have also used galv. electric fence wire for Beverages. The first time I unroll the wire, it lasts in the air a long time without rust. Then I added a second wire to make a 2-wire beverage. The new wire is fine, but the older one (only in the air a few weeks longer) is now very rusty in spots. It seems that when I temporarily untensionsed and dropped the first wire in the process of adding the second, many cracks in the coating were created allowing it to rust very quickly.

Tor
N4OGW