[TowerTalk] Hy-Gain Balums or Coaxial Coil?

AA6DX - Mark aa6dx at arrl.net
Mon Feb 26 21:01:54 EST 2007

re: Hy-Gain BN-86 ---
#1 -  They collect spiders and their ensuing webs within .. then comes the
dirt and dust and moisture, especially during the ARRL SS and CQWW DX
contests. Phhhht!

#2 - They will de-solder themselves .. where the coil ends at the ferrite
core ... and leave you in a lurch.  (Especially during contests)

#3 - Very possible to "burn out" the coil, and wires.

Done all of the above.  Interestingly, had one go out on a 2ØM monobander -
2Ø4BA -- during 1979 CQWWDXCW contest, raining of course... went to top of
tower and stripped back coax, connected to driven element sans balun, never
did put one back on that antenna for as long as I had it ... nor my other
2Ø4BAs!  I used one of my old BN86s here this QTH on top of 3Ø' of masting
mounted on rooftop chimney, had my 1Ø-4ØM multi-band aerials connected to
it, made thousands of contacts over 12 years ... finally the spiders and QRO
did the number to it....since then have removed the chimney, and those
wires!

Probably fine for the casual operator, running a reasonable amount of juice.
73 .. Mark

Mark Nelson  -  AA6DX
http://aa6dx.com
AA6DX at ARRL.NET