[TowerTalk] Plugging the top of Rohn 25

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Jan 4 18:32:20 EST 2007

>I have a 70' rohn 25 with a regular section for the top section.  What is
> being used to plug the holes to prevent rain water from accummulating in
> the tower legs?

I've seen a number of good suggestions, but...
If the tower base is properly installed water will not accumulate in the
legs.
If you don't live in the frozen north it's even less of a problem.

For looks and peace of mind as well as keeping the spiders and mud dobbers
out you can tape the leg, covering the bolt holes at the top and use tubing
caps to close the end. Use Silastic RTV (TM) to hold the caps in place if
necessary. (then you don't have to run an extension cord up the tower if you
forgot to seal the legs before assembly.)
According to ROHN, do NOT DRILL holes in the legs or remove the galvanizing.
They even tell the builder to not drill out the bolt holes which are
undersize due to the heavy galvanizing. You use taper drift pins and a big
hammer (5# Engineer's Hammer) to open those bolt holes without damaging the
galvanizing.
So drilling drain holes is not considered a good thing by the company.
Besides, if drainage is a problem then water will still be a problem below
the drain holes. Up here the frost line is said to be over 24 inches down,
but I haven't seen it that deep in years.

However none of this does any good if you live in freezing climate and the
spiders or mud dobbers build a nest in a tower leg, condensation collects,
freezes, and splits a leg. I saw an old Aluminum tower where one leg is
split for 4 or 5 inches about 2 or 3 feet above the bottom from water
collecting above a spider web/nest. How they got in I don't know as the only
access point I could find was the split. Possibly they were in there BEFORE
the tower went up.

When I put my 45G up and had to use high pressure air to blow out the legs
of each section before putting it in place. With 10 sections of tower I blew
out a LOT of bees with 120 PSI air. The down wind end of the legs acted like
a shot gun.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com