[TowerTalk] Ground Rods in rocky soil

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Sun Jan 21 15:17:33 EST 2007

Thanks to all who responded to my question about ground rods in rocky  soil.

UFERs seemed to be highly recommended.

I may be able to use something like that.  The tower is about 400 feet  away
from the house and will probably be grounded in the traditional  way enhanced
with radials.  However, the entry point at the house may  be able to use the
UFERs, although am not sure if what I'm using  would qualify as UFERs.

Most houses in Hawaii are built on a post and pier system, using a system  of
shear walls on footers.  At the entrance point to the house for all the
radio cable, telco and power will be an L-shaped footer about 14  feet long with
rebar in it.  My plan, in addition to using as many radials  and the ground rod
the electrician will install, is to tie into that footer and  any other
footers within about 20 feet or so to help enhance the ground  system.  All footers
would have rebar and would be about 18 inches  wide by about one foot deep
and would be roughly 14-16 feet long.  Soil  would be backfilled to around the
top of the footer, but not covering it

Any thoughts as to whether I should tie into the footer system.  What
improvement would there be, if any?

Bill K4XS/KH7XS