[TowerTalk] HAM IV Service Manual

Adrian Rees rees.a at btconnect.com
Mon Jan 22 08:19:32 EST 2007

Jim's idea of replacing the bolts with studs, is an excellent one. I'll certainly be doing this to my HAM IV's that I am overhauling at the moment.

I had a similar problem, and successfully extracted the sheared bolts with a Stud Extractor.If you havn't used one before they are easy to use, and most of the time, they will cure the problem. I soak the area in thin machine oil or penetrating oil, for a day or so. Then drill the required hole in the remainder of the bolt, screw in the extractor and start turning.I use a long socket handle to get lots of torque on the extractor.Generally it takes two or three short sharp pulls on the handle and the stud will start to turn. Once started it usually comes out fine.

I've never had to get something re-tapped. Including the engines I've extracted studs from.

Hope this helps.

Adrian
MW1LCR