[TowerTalk] SteppIR one last comment KH7XS

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Sun Jul 1 03:42:06 EDT 2007

Just a comment on the SteppIRs.

For 20 years I had stacked monoband KLMs for all bands from 10 through 40
using six towers.  I loved the performance of them, and I also like working  the
WARC bands with my Cushcraft duo-bander and my dipole for 30.

Jump to 2007 and now I have relocated to KH6 and have three acres  and county
wide (island wide) restriction of only one tower.  For me  the SteppIR made
sense  ability to stack quasi-monobanders on all bands  including WARC from 6
through 40.  I don't fool myself into thinking they  will outperform what I had
up before.

The bottom line is that most of the gain is a function of boom length, so
that any most high efficiency beams with the same boom length....the old KLM,
the 4 el SteppIR or the equivalent m2 or Force 32 foot boom will produce about
the same gain.  F/B and so forth will vary.  For me F/B wasn't  important
since there are almost no stations to the back of me when facing the  heavy run
areas....JA/W/EU.

Bottom line..buying an antenna is like buying clothing.  What fits you
doesn't fit me.  That doesn't mean that my suit is better or worse than  yours.

Now, can we get back to more important things...like finding true north,
owls and tower wenches.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS