[TowerTalk] Bottom Section In Concrete and Bolt question

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Jul 5 18:28:57 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/5/2007 12:36:57 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I have a 60 foot Jontz tower in good condition.  I plan  to put the first 5
feet into the hole with gravel at the bottom so it will  drain.

>  1.  Do I need a rebar cage in the concrete  around the portion of the tower
set in concrete?

    Yes, and it needs to be designed by an engineer.  It's function is to
hold the concrete together while it's curing to prevent  cracks in the base. You
can make some educated inferences from similar towers.  Try the Rohn online
catalog or the Trylon site. All tower structures have the  same forces going on
and use similar designs and if in doubt, over-engineer  it.

    Are you going to get a building permit? If so,  you'll probably need a
stamped PE package to be submitted with your  application. If not, you might
want to find a PE to design the base and rebar  cage anyway. There's probably one
or two in your local ham club.

>  2.  When taking the tower down I broke many of the  bolts holding it
together.  They are unique and unavailable.   What grade/type of bolts do I
want to use to replace them?

    Check with the manufacturer. Lacking that, what  grade was used that you
broke? Check the number of hash marks on the bolt head  and that'll tell you.
And again, if in doubt - get a stronger grade. The cost  is insignificant. In
commercial installations, nuts and bolts are not re-used  anyway.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC