[TowerTalk] AB Chance anchor installation... How!?!

Robert Hess w1rh at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 18:53:20 EDT 2007

We had these installed to supplement the original guy
anchors for the WBZ-AM tower site in Boston, which
dates back to the late '30s.  Because the site is in
an environmentally sensitive salt marsh, it was
required that no excavation be done, hence the need
for auger anchors and many of them.  The construction
crew, an AB Chance contractor, used hand-held
hydraulic devices to screw them in.  Apparently when
they hit a predetermined torque, the device shut
itself off.

I am now on the west coast, but still working for the
same company (CBS).  I am told that, 10 years later,
these anchors have been verified by a structural
engineer to be doing as good as the day they were
installed.

Bob
W1RH