[TowerTalk] AB Chance anchor installation... How!?!

Larry DiGioia N8KU towertalk at longwire.com
Tue Jul 17 21:34:27 EDT 2007

Funny you should ask - I just did it (had it done) this past weekend.

I should point out that not everyone will have the resource that I did -
a friend, who is a ham, and an electrical lineman. He borrowed one of
their pole-setting trucks, came, and using what is actually a cross
between a drill and a crane, installed all 3 anchors in about an hour.
For good measure, he also drilled the beginning of the base hole with
the 18" auger, all I have to do is "square it."

Specs for my 120' Rohn 45 tower say that I would need something like 6"
anchors, but he "likes the big ones a lot better," so in went (3) 14"
diameter anchors. Not even a hint of a problem, they cut through my dry
Ohio clay (almost closer to rock than dirt) like a knife through butter.
I could hear rocks being pulverized as they went in. And yes, they were
AB Chance anchors, I guess this utility company knows their stuff.

Plan "B" would have been to have my neighbor use his mini-track-hoe to
dig down 6', dig a slot to lay them at an angle, then just lay the
anchors in there and cover with a 1/2 yard or so of concrete. I am just
glad the truck was able to squeeze into my back yard and do it the way
they were designed for.

R Atkins wrote:
> First off, let me thank all of you for the responses these past few days about all facets of tower installation as well as a few bits and pieces I've needed to get the job done. Its amazing how responsive and helpful this list/"reflector" is. I've been so busy installing the tower that I haven't had time to touch the computer, but all your help is VERY much appreciated.
>

> Now,.. for the question.
>
> How in the world do you install those 8" diameter (model 816?) screw-in ground anchors?!?!?!
>
> We've bent a 6' long pipe  and a 8' long pipe so badly that we could hardly remove them... and these anchors are only halfway in.
>
> There are limitations to what we can because of a heavily tree lot that we want to keep that way (so... we can't get a tractor in there).
>
> How do you get these things screwed all the way into the ground?
>
> Thanks!

> Got a little couch potato?
> http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz

Larry  N8KU