[TowerTalk] Linear Loaded Yagi's...

Dino Darling dino at k6rix.com
Thu Jul 19 17:32:39 EDT 2007

I was driving past N6MJ's casa today and admiring the good ol' KLM
3ele 40-meter beam.

I understand that the linear loading makes the antenna elements
electrically resonant while being physically shorter and more
manageable.  But what does this do to the wave front/pattern coming
out the front of this beast?  I would think that it is a compromise
overall and certainly a compromise when compared to a full size yagi,
but is there a right or wrong way to linear load a yagi?

In other words, is there some magic percentage of real length over
loaded length?  Should the physical length be at least a 1/4 wave or
possibly .43625 of a 1/2 wave?  (I just made up that number by the
way)  Should the "tips" be longer or shorter than the initial element
with the loading making up the difference?  Should each make up 1/3
of the length?  Is it better to "end load" the element and only leave
enough "tip" to tune?  Can you have too much loading?!

I'm sure a lot of thought went into how to properly "linear load" an
element, and I'm just curious what the answer is.

Dino - K6RIX
dino at k6rix.com