[TowerTalk] [wwdxc] RG213 Woes

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 17:58:04 EDT 2007

Two thoughts:

A.  Are we talking about the same things--to me, "Barrel" = two males
(plugs) end to end.  "Bullet" = two females (jacks) end to end.  Barrels and
bullets must have ends that are in the same series.   A bullet is usually
used in a splice because the cables (213 at least) are usually terminated
with males.

B.  Instead of using 213 and UHF connectors outside (indoors is another
matter) why not consider moving to Ns or DINs and (depending on the
connector) smaller diameter heliax?  Ns and 1/2 inch LDF 4-50 are a nice
combination for ham radio.  I know this is more expensive but if you are
going up a tower or some other hard to get to place and want something
weatherproof that you can forget about it might be worth it in the long run.
  Maybe it is time to start moving on from 1930s era connectors (I'm talking
about hams in general) outside in the wx.

73

rob / k5uj