[TowerTalk] Grounding Standard

Mike Miller wa0zog at embarqmail.com
Fri Jul 27 00:20:01 EDT 2007

All this talk about grounding has gotten me in a mood to ask a few
questions, since I've not grounded my tower yet.  I've not placed any
antennas on it yet or anything else, either, though, but it's still not
safe, I know, let's not start in on that....

Drawing on what both Carl, KM1H, has suggested about battery cables or
other stranded cables, and what Jim, W6RMK, has suggested about surface
area, is there any reason that I couldn't make use of the spare 2/0
welding cable I've got hanging around in the garage instead of heading
off to purchase something else for grounding the tower?  Wouldn't that
conform to the new standards?  I'd think that there are more than enough
strands of wire in that cable to give enough surface area to cover their
requirement of "2/0 solid surface area."  The only two difficulties I
would have then would be coming up with ten foot ground rods (all I can
find is 5/8" eight footers around here, and I've already purchased two
of the three I need), and finding some suitable way to bond the cable to
both the ground rod and the leg of the HDBX-40.

Any opinions?  I'm open to suggestions...

--Mike, WA0ZOG