[TowerTalk] Fwd: Acoustical Society News

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jul 27 11:45:18 EDT 2007

Tower Talkers:

I don't often post stuff like this anywhere, but as a man of science, I
appreciate seeing scientists honored, especially when one of them has so
directly touched what I do. James West is the co-inventor of the electret
condenser microphone, which has, by now, probably displaced the carbon
microphone as the most ubiquitous microphone on the planet. His invention
made it possible to make very small, very good quality mics at very low cost.
Nearly all mics used in ham radio are electret mics.

73,

Jim Brown

Dear ASA member,

I am writing to let you know that two ASA Fellows, Jan D. Achenbach and James
E. West, will be honored today at the White House.

U. S. President George W. Bush will present the 2005 and 2006 National Medals
of Science and Technology at a White House ceremony on Friday, July 27, at
1:50 p.m. The ceremony will be carried live by satellite feed and Web cast on
the White House Web site, http://www.whitehouse.gov.

Jan Achenbach, Walter P. Murphy and Distinguished McCormick School Professor
in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Northwestern
University, will be receiving the 2005 National Medal of Science for his
seminal contributions to engineering research and education in the area of
wave propagation in solids and for pioneering the field of quantitative non-
destructive evaluation.  Additional information may be found at
http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2007/05/national.html

James E. West, Research Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer
Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University Whiting School of Engineering, will
be receiving the 2006 National Medal of Technology "for co-inventing the
electret microphone while working with Gerhard Sessler at Bell Labs in
1962."  Additional information may be found at
http://www.jhu.edu/news_info/news/home07/jul07/west.html