[TowerTalk] SteppIR problem

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Jun 12 07:59:19 EDT 2007

> listed.  It states that you need a 33 volt power supply
> for runs over 200
> feet.    They should really show a maximum cable length
> for using 33 volts.
> Perhaps with a 500 foot of their cable run you need even
> more voltage.  Are
> you using a 33 volt supply?

There is some point where the equipment fails, and if we
keep going we can even make it explode!

If the equipment works as K4SAV described, current is
constant but the pulse width increases with longer runs. It
is an ampere/seconds problem and the voltage is constant.

If it is constant pulse width then it must increase voltage.

But there will be limits!!

Whatever way it works it is probably a very simple problem
that the person who designed the system understands. If he
doesn't understand it, he certainly should learn about it
quickly. :-) There is some chance in today's cut and paste
electronics that people build things without understanding
how they work in the real world, and something like that
would probably be most common with long wires and motor
loads and pulsed controllers.

Whatever it is, I doubt random guesses will help much.
Someone at some point will need to learn how the system
actually behaves, and that will be the end of it.

73 Tom