[TowerTalk] Balun question

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Jun 14 11:02:04 EDT 2007

Steve,
I have not taken apart my  Force 12 B-1 baluns but the size and
shape of mine suggest they  are likely ferrite beads on a coax center.
Perhaps RG-142 or one of the  others with a Teflon dielectric, a classic
ferrite
bead choke balun. I have one  on my 6 element 6m Force 12 yagi. I take it the
leads are irretrievable (to  reach) to solder back onto the SO-239.
Others have already  suggested a replacement. I am only a few steps  beyond
your understanding. The ARRL  Handbook (mine is c2000) says that “A balanced
antenna should be fed by a  balanced feeder to preserve this electrical
symmetry (of your  yagi/dipole driven element) with respect to ground,
thereby
avoiding difficulties with  unbalanced currents on the line and undesireable
radiation from the  transmission line itself. Line radiation can be
prevented
by a number of devices which  detune or decouple the line for currents
radiated by the antenna back  onto the line that feeds it, greatly reducing
the amplitude of such  antenna currents.”
It goes on to say,”a circuit  that will isolate the balanced load from the
unbalanced line, while  providing efficient power transfer”… is called a
balun.
I believe most yagis tend to  have a lower impedance than 50 Ohms
(per the Ham Good Book) but  I also understand that height above ground,
element sloping, the  presence of other parasitic elements all affect  this.
So we are not talking about  “transforming” one impedance to another in this
 case
AND choking coax jacket  currents.
The book shows a bead balun  attributed to M. Walter Maxwell, W2DU. If I
understand the theory  correctly a bead “choke” balun would have most of
the
advantages of a wound  toroid-type balun without the inductance and stray
capacitance that Jim, K9YC,  describes since there is no “coax outside the
core” except at the far ends  where the coax enters and leaves.
He does point out in his  tutorial that you do end up using a lot
of ferrite (cost) for this  (luxury?).
The multiple turns in fewer  cores is a lot more efficient use of the
ferrite.
The limiting factor is  getting coax that can wind many times in the  largest
(2.4 inch) cores, not  exceeding the minimum bend radius and compromising the

dielectric but has the specs  to work at up to 1.5KW (in some cases or more…)
at the frequency in  question. Oh, and the jacket must be protected if  it
cannot handle the UV. Or you  can use larger coax, a few more cores with
fewer turns as Jim  suggests.
So I would say you are  pretty much “right on”. It then becomes a question
of whether you want to make  an easy to string but expensive bead balun or
a more efficient (cost and  perhaps size-wise) and a bit more complex to
make balun with larger cores  and multiple turns.
I hope I have it basically  correct. I have to keep reading my several books
on Baluns, Un-uns, and  transmission lines to keep trying to understand and
hopefully absorb more info.  For those of us who were not formally educated
in this the books and a  little osmosis are it (with the expert guidance
from those on this  reflector). Jim’s tutorial is excellent and I will  be
winding more inline chokes  with more turns on fewer cores for our
multi-multi
contest station, though we  have been using a long bead balun on our 160
vertical.
Good luck! Still learning (I  hope).
Aloha,
Kimo Chun,  KH7U