[TowerTalk] Tower design question

Floyd Rodgers kc5qbc at swbell.net
Fri Jun 29 09:44:07 EDT 2007

Something has been bothering me for a while. With all the discussion and problems with tower leg corrosion, filling with water and splitting, etc. Why do almost ALL the manufacturers design the joints to telescope inside from above which leaves water able to run inside joints and fill tubes? Why not simply invert the connection by telescoping over the bottom section so water just runs outside not through the joint. I know there is no difference in joint strength or assembly difficulty, so why?