[TowerTalk] Inexpensive thrust bearing?

Clint Talmadge unclebudd at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 21 18:02:27 EST 2007

The Amateur Block was actually Phenolic. I would not use wood, as wood absorbs moisture and swells. That might put the "squeeze" on the mast and bind the rotor.

An idea: Go to WallyWorld and get a plastic cutting board as thick as you can find. Cut it into pieces that will fit the top plate of the tower. Bolt the pieces together with flat head bolts so the heads will not interfere with the top plate, while the nuts will stick up in the air bothering nothing. Drill the mounting and mast holes and use it. The plastic will not retain moisture and will provide a smooth inner surface against which the mast can turn. The only "yahbut!" to the whole procedure is that the plastic may degrade in the sun.

Just an idea..
Clint - W5CPT