[TowerTalk] Mobile antenna for SUV

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 26 12:26:13 EST 2007

Hi Dennis,

I have five of the big clamshells on the positive lead right at the battery,
and several turns around the toroid where it runs as a pair. I haven't had
time (or the motivation of a long road trip) to test the effectiveness of
these measures, but they are what makes sense to me. You must use big
ferrites and NO turns when they are on only one lead because of the
saturation that would occur with transmit current. Back in January, I added a
section to the RFI tutorial to address this.

I also like W6WRT's suggestion of a choke on the coax at the antenna. For 40-
10M, I would start with about 8 turns on the #31 or #43 2.4" (FT-240) toroid.
If I was running 75M, I would use only the #31 and more turns.

Jim