[TowerTalk] Winch Recommendation for Tramming Antennas Up/Down

ac9s at mchsi.com ac9s at mchsi.com
Thu Nov 8 09:47:18 EST 2007

I don't think the jeep is too far off.  We use a hydrostatic garden tractor.
My wife usually drives and I am up the tower.  If available we generally keep
one person with their hand on the pull line at the tractor end just to stay in
synch with anything hanging up.  Sometimes, if the load isn't too great we
will have a couple of guys physically pull, backed up by the tractor.  That
gives us hand feel and the security of the tractor.

I don't understand how a single person at the top of the tower could do the
job, even with a winch.  We usually have a couple of guys on the ground
manning tag lines to keep the elements aligned, especially as the antenna
approaches the top of the tower.  The tram works great and with the tractor
there is little muscle involved - other than me trying to get u-bolts around a
weather vaneing antenna and mast.

Keith
AC9S

"A jeep in 4wd-low.