[TowerTalk] Winch Recommendation for Tramming Antennas Up/Down

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Thu Nov 8 10:39:38 EST 2007

Keith,

You need to attach a 'rudder, tiller' to your antenna boom and then to
the tram line to keep the antenna in-line.  Forget the tag lines - you
won't need them.

When you get the antenna to the mast, lash it to the mast with rope
first and then work on installing the U-bolts.  Why struggle.

Doug

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Winch Recommendation for Tramming Antennas
Up/Down

I don't think the jeep is too far off.  We use a hydrostatic garden
tractor.
My wife usually drives and I am up the tower.  If available we generally
keep
one person with their hand on the pull line at the tractor end just to
stay in
synch with anything hanging up.  Sometimes, if the load isn't too great
we
will have a couple of guys physically pull, backed up by the tractor.
That
gives us hand feel and the security of the tractor.

I don't understand how a single person at the top of the tower could do
the
job, even with a winch.  We usually have a couple of guys on the ground
manning tag lines to keep the elements aligned, especially as the
antenna
approaches the top of the tower.  The tram works great and with the
tractor
there is little muscle involved - other than me trying to get u-bolts
around a
weather vaneing antenna and mast.

Keith
AC9S