[TowerTalk] [RE: Ordered a HDX555 Oct. 3 from Texas Towers. It will be here tomorrow morning.....!!!!!!!]

Jim McDonald jim at n7us.net
Wed Nov 14 14:21:45 EST 2007

Roger,

Be VERY careful lifting a crank-up tower with a fork lift.  It's easy to
bend the cross bracing to the point of damaging it or at least making
the tower bind when raised and lowered.  A tow truck or crane is much
better.

Not being popular enough to have 18 friends, I had a tower dolly built
several years ago by a local trailer company.  As I recall (I'm not home
as I write this), it's about 40" square and has a shortened car axle,
leaf springs, and two car wheels/tires.  It's especially easy to push a
1500# tower around on level ground my myself, though the springs flatten
out pretty much with my 2500#+ HDX-589 and 20' mast.

I have the invoice, but think it cost $400-600 or so to have it
professionally made.  I thought I'd rent it out to friends to reduce my
"investment" but that was just a rationalization, as I have instead
loaned it for free, of course.

I had a 2"" mast" with a ball-hitch coupling welded to it made that can
be attached to the dolly (if no tower on it) or to a lightweight tower
if one is brave/foolish enough to pull it behind a pickup truck.

It's worked quite well to move the tower from house to house as I've
relocated over the last several years.  I lower the tower onto it, and
have a crane pick it and the tower up with two nylon slings.  It goes
into and out of the covered moving van amazingly well.  (I'll leave the
details and visualization to your imagination.)

If anyone is serious about making such a thing I can take digital
pictures.

Jim N7US