[TowerTalk] DIN Connectors You Can't Solder To

Martin Ewing - AA6E aa6e at ewing.homedns.org
Sat Nov 17 15:48:25 EST 2007

"Reduction of Hazardous Substances" (RoHS) is a European initiative
which requires manufacturers to use non-lead-bearing solder for
commercial electronics devices, among other practices.  You have to
follow these rules if you want to sell in EU -- in practice, the world
electronics business is following suit.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restriction_of_Hazardous_Substances_Directive

The rules don't apply to hobbyists, but most of the stuff we will buy
will be RoHS compliant.  In practice, this means that soldering is
trickier because you have to use higher temperature solders.

On the other hand, we might all preserve our mental faculties a little
longer! (One of the symptoms of Pb poisoning is reduced IQ.)

73 Martin AA6E