[TowerTalk] Insulator Placement Clarification

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Tue Sep 4 20:29:03 EDT 2007

Hi Dick,

Before I leap to an answer, how many and what types of antennas will be supported by your tower?

As you can already see from your responses, the most favored approach is
to use Phillystran or fiberglas (I use over 15,000 feet of fiberglas on over 100 guy wires on my nine 130 to 200 foot towers). Otherwise prepare to install many insulators for optimum performance.

If you're willing to sacrifice performance, you can try using no insulators at all, but YMMV...  Many hams who've made a major capital and labor investment in a tower and antennas prefer to take the least risky, highest electrical performance approach and go with Phillystran or fiberglas.

73!
Frank
W3LPL