[TowerTalk] #2 solid or stranded for tower leg grounds

wa5zup wa5zup at msn.com
Fri Sep 14 08:13:48 EDT 2007

The tower is a crank up and tilts over.  I would prefer a ground connection
that I can unbolt and not have to redress the ground connections each time I
want to tilt the tower over.  Once the antennas are up and everything works,
tilting it over may not be much of an issue. That is where I was headed with
the stranded idea.  I understand not to make any sharp bends from the tower
to the first ground rods.

The tower is bolted to the base with 5 ¾” bolts on each leg.  Of course you
can not buy lugs with that big of a hole.  I was thinking of using flat bar
material, say 1.5” wide, drill a ¾” hole in it, and create a “tab” to attach
the ground wires to.  You can buy this stuff on line, in small amounts, in
stainless, brass, bronze, and aluminum.  I was thinking bronze.

I work for an electric utility.  Although grounding in a switchyard is for a
different purpose, more than lightning protection.  The standard is 2/0
stranded to every structure, tied to a grid.  You hardly ever see solid used
for anything.  Interesting--I have never asked the question of why stranded
is used instead of solid.

John wa5zup

  _____