[TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Puzzle

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Sat Sep 15 08:12:43 EDT 2007

Measure the resistances on the pot and motor to ground from the shack end
with the control box disconnected.  They should both be open circuit or at
least very high resistance.  My guess would be that you have a leakage path
from the motor power to ground that it is adding a bias on the indicator
circuit.  This is based on the sdx controls where the power to the motor is
only grounded through a 10k resistor in the control box, this is what leads
to the odd one way speed differences.  So if there were a short or low
impedance leak in one of the motor power leads to ground (say one of the
filter caps in the rotor shorted), it could feed current into the ground
where one side of the indicator pot is connected.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net