[TowerTalk] Using a Alpha Delta balun on a Force 12

Jim Miller WB5OXQ in Waco wb5oxq at grandecom.net
Sun Apr 13 20:08:15 EDT 2008

I have a Force 12 C3 and I originally fed it with RG 213 direct connected to the driven element and it worked well until I got a lightning strike and then the swr went to 3 to 1 at resonance.  So I replaced the coax thinking it might be damaged since there is no visible damage to the antenna and it has no traps so I see no way the antenna could be bad.  I thought of investing in a high power 1 to 1 balun to feed the antenna and invested in a 8kw rated Alpha Delta balun to use on this antenna.  Only problem is how to mount the balun on the antenna.  I mounted the balun on top of the boom right over the driven element which is on the bottom of the boom.  I used aluminum strips to connect the balun to the driven element but in order to clear the boom the strips had to be about 6" long each and the result it that resonance is too low to be used at all.  SWr drops to 1.8 to 1 at the bottom of each band and it over 3 to 1 at  the middle of the phone band.  the tuner will bring the swr down to flat but I suspect the balun might really get hot with that mismatch.  Question is can I attach the balun on the bottom side with the terminals next to the driven element using 2" jumpers and fabricate a sort of rear brace for the balun and attach it at the Pl259 end up to the boom.  The balun would not touch the parasitic driven elements but it would be only 1" below them.  Could this work or does anyone have any other suggestions like maybe doing away with the balun and just going back to a coax choke like I originally had?  Is there anything to be gained by using the 1 to 1 balun instead of just a coax choke?  I don't want to burn anything up if I accidentally get past 1500 for a moment while tuning the amp or running too much carrier on AM?
WB5OXQ